5 Questions with Glen Manzer (Calgary, AB)
1. What does “good food” mean to you?
Good food to me means, shopping on the outside lanes of the grocery store. Sustainable farming. Around the table with friends and family!
2. What’s your all-time perfect bite of food?
Perfect bite of food…is there such a thing? But lately as close as I think it gets is having time to sit and eat with a beautiful pastry chef.
3. What’s your most beloved food memory from childhood that inspires you as a chef?
We could of course always go right to my grandmother’s feasts, but our family used to spend a weekend at the lake with friends and on the Saturday night would be a great big dinner all served family style at a long table. I think one time we had 70 people, I never knew how amazing and special it was at the time.
4. What do you think needs to change in Canada to create a healthier and fairer food system?
Change, so much. I wish I new. But I think that getting back to the family dinner might be a good start.
5. At Community Food Centres Canada we help build programs that grow // cook // share // advocate for good food. What’s the first thing you think of when you hear this four words? Fill in the blanks.
Grow…a garden with someone
Advocate…the family dinner